Korg Prologue 8-Voice Analog Synthesizer
The Korg Prologue 8 is a polyphonic analog synthesizer with 8 multitimbral voices. KORG's analog synthesizer development in recent years has culminated in the Prologue, which was designed using 11,000 discreet electronic components. Although the Prologue is a flagship instrument, it still retains the inviting feel and accessibility of its predecessors. It features a pure analog path, impeccable sound quality, stunning presence unlike any other poly synth, and the same intuitive interface as the Minilogue and Monologue, granting you intuitive access to a vast world of analog synthesis.
Hear what the Prologue can do in this video from Korg:
The Prologue uses a structure of 2VCO + MULTI ENGINE, 1VCF, 2EG, 1VCA, and 1LFO. In addition to distinctive, original circuitry, such as wave shaping to shape the oscillator's overtones and a sync/ring switch, Prologue also features a two-pole low pass filter with enhanced sharpness, drive that adds powerful distortion, and a low cut (high pass) switch. Every detail has been improved on from minilogue and monologue. Its sound covers every sonic possibility: fat basses, powerful leads, and the beautiful pads that you expect from a polyphonic synthesizer.
Newly developed multi-engine:
The ingenuity of Prologue goes beyond its analog design. The newly developed multi engine is provided as VCO3, adding digital waveforms and FM. This multi engine, which is equipped with three different sound engines, can be combined with the analog VCOs to expand Prologue's sonic potential far beyond that of a traditional analog synthesizer.
There are four types of noise generator, indispensable for percussive sounds or sound effects. Experience how digital filtering can produce direct changes in the color of the noise.
The VPM (Variable Phase Modulation) / FM oscillator was newly developed for Prologue. Its metallic and sharp sounds with their complex overtones could never be obtained by analog means. With 16 types of oscillator and the SHAPE knob, you'll be intuitively guided through complex sound design. Combine these wave shapes with Prologue's gorgeous analog filters, and prepare for sounds you never thought possible.
The user oscillator section lets you load oscillator programs of your own creation. Sixteen slots are provided, and one type of morphing wavetable oscillator is built-in as a preset.
The high-quality digital effects feature pristine 24-bit floating-point processing, and add a further polish to the sound of the Prologue. With two effect units provided (a modulation effect and delay/reverb), you can choose from a wide variety such as chorus or ensemble, warm tape delay, or diverse reverbs. The user effect slots let you load effect programs of your own creation.
Open source means that the Prologue's development is ongoing. It provides 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effect slots, and you can use the dedicated librarian software (expected to be available for downloading around early spring 2018) to create your very own oscillators and effect programs, and load them into Prologue.
What types of sound will you create by combining the expanded digital oscillators with analog synthesis? You can create original programs and share code to participate in the user community. Start with sample code provided by KORG. The Prologue belongs to you.
The Prologue is a two-timbre synthesizer that lets you play two different programs simultaneously.
- Keys: 49 keys (Natural touch keyboard with velocity)
- Sound Generation: Analogue sound generator + Multi digital sound generator (Noise, VPM, User)
- Maximum Polyphony: 8 voices
- Programs: Over 500 voices (more than 200 preloaded, 300 user programs). Each program provides a program sort function that includes voice mode and timbre settings, and allows up to 8x4 banks of live set programs to be registered.
- Voice Mode: : 4 (POLY, MONO, UNISON, CHORD). The VOICE MODE DEPTH setting allows different parameters to be varied for each mode.
- Timbres: : Max two timbre (Main timbre, Sub timbre). Layer, crossfade, and split settings are possible
- Arpeggiator: : 6 types (Manual, Rise, Fall, Rise Fall, Random, Poly Random). Tempo and note range can be changed
- Program Sort: : 8 (PROG NUM, CATEGORY, ALPHABETICAL, LIKE, FREQUENT, ENVELOPE, RANDOM, LIVE SET)
- Main Synth Parameters:
- VCO1: Wave (Saw, Triangle, Square), Octave, Pitch, Shape
- VCO2: Wave (Saw, Triangle, Square), Octave, Pitch, Shape
- Modulation: Pitch EG (All, VCO1+2, VCO2), Pitch EG Int, Sync, Ring, Cross Mod Depth
- Multi Engine: Noise/VPM/User, Octave, Type, Shape
- Multi Engine Types
- Noise Generator: 4 Types
- VPM Oscillator: 16 Types
- User Oscillator: 16 Slots
- Mixer: Vco1, Vco2, Multi
- VCF: Cutoff, Resonance, EG Int, Drive, Low Cut, Keytrack
- Amp EG: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release
- EG: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release
- LFO: Wave (Saw, Triangle, Square), Mod (Fast, Slow, Bpm), Rate, Int, Target (Pitch, Shape, Cutoff)
- Main Effect Parameters:
- Mod Effects: Off/On/Select (Chorus, Ensemble, Phaser, Flanger, User), Speed, Depth
- Chorus: 8 Types
- Ensemble: 3 Types
- Phaser: 8 Tyepes
- Flanger: 8 Types
- User: 16 Types
- Delay/Reverb: Off/Delay/Reverb, Time, Depth
- Delay/Reverb Types:
- Delay: 8 Types
- Reverb: 8 Types
- Wheels: Modulation Wheel That Can Modify Different Parameters for Each Program, Pitch Wheel
- Knobs: Portamento Knob
- Main: Real-Time OLED Oscilloscope Provides Visual Feedback of Parameter Changes
- Multi Engine Section: 7 Segments X 6 Digit Led Display
- Audio Connections:
- Head Phone Jack (Stereo Phone Jack)
- Output L/Mono, R Jacks (Monaural Phone Jack Unbalanced)
- Sync Connections:
- Sync In Jack (3.5 Mm [1/8"] Mini Jack, Maximum Input Level 20 V)
- Sync Out Jack (3.5 Mm [1/8"] Mini Jack, Output Level 5 V)
- Midi Connections:
- Midi In Jack
- Midi Out Jack
- USB Connections:
- USB B Jack
- Control Connections:
- Expression Jack
- Damper Jack (Half Damper Is Not Supported)
- Power Supply: Ac Power Supply Terminal
- Power Consumption: 23 W